Unique Material Properties open up a wide Variety of Applications...
SIGRASIC® products derive their extraordinary properties from C/SiC, a composite material that combines carbon fibers within a ceramic matrix to maximise material properties. Carbon fiber reinforced silicon carbide C/SiC is manufactured at SGL Technologies GmbH by infiltrating carbon fiber-reinforced carbon (CC) with silicon. The fiber-reinforcing materials used are short and long carbon fibers, woven carbon fabrics, felts, etc.
By suitable adjustment of material and process parameters, the product characteristics can be varied and optimized to match the intended use of the SIGRASIC® component. Characteristic properties of SIGRASIC® design variants are for instance:
- Density: 1.8 - 2.8 g/cm3
- Elongation at break: 0.05 - 0.8 %
- High thermal stability up to 1,350 °C combined
- with excellent dimensional stability
- Thermal expansion: 1.5 - 3.8 10-6/K
- Coefficient of thermal shock resistance:
- 46 - 83 kW/m
- Specific heat capacity: 0.6 - 1.7 J/g*K
- Thermal conductivity: 20 - 125 W/m*K
- Chemical resistance
The carbon fiber-reinforcement used in SIGRASIC® components results in a pseudo-ductile fracture behaviour of the hard SiC ceramic when subjected to overstressing. This makes for the damage-tolerance behaviour of C/SiC.
SIGRASIC® products help extend the service life of structural units and reduce operating expenses. They are suitable for industrial applications such as:
- Structural components shaped to close geometric tolerances
- Components for high-temperature applications
- Components for chemical process equipment
- Structural components for aerospace technology
- Components for semiconductor technology
- Oxidation- and thermal shock-resistant components for the glass-processing industry
SIGRASIC® allows high-performance ceramics to be manufactured in a wide variety of shapes and complex geometric designs.
Discussing your own possible uses
Please do not hesitate to contact us. We shall be glad to advise you on ways to improve the performance of your own products and systems by using C/SiC. Our technical staff will provide detailed information and help you choose SIGRASIC® materials best suited to your particular requirements.
For which country do you need a contact person?